Great (wine) finds at just a bit off the beaten path (But well worth it!)

So I took a trip to Lee’s Summit Thursday to visit a friend in Lakewood (a/k/a my next wine and food tasting soiree). Following my review of their home and event space I traveled further south on Hwy 291 and found myself at Vanessa & Matt’s “new” (ok it’s a year old already) wine shop: Winehouse (http://www.kcwinehouse.com/). The Watkins had been frequent guests of mine back in the days of my wine shop and Matt and I even took the CMS Introductory Sommelier Course together (http://www.mastersommeliers.org/) a few years ago so I knew whatever they ventured in to would be first class!

Winehouse was just that: a classy joint with all the right bottles in all the right places! No rich Corinthian leather chairs or mahogany shelves that cost more than the wine bottles themselves. Old world to the left and New world to the right … As I made my way through the maze of fermented grape juice I re-discovered my passion for the 100s, 1,000s, even 1,000,000s of bottles of wine that are available in the Missouri marketplace. Many familiar faces but many new names and labels as well. I pride myself on having a good sense of memory but even I had forgotten about many of my favorites (Yes, you get to a point where your store is an amalgamation of those you like as well as those that sell – You should see my private collection!).

Today’s visit was just a restock of my everyday wines as I previously tore through the cases of inventory that were made to be enjoyed sooner rather than later (I still have lots of later wine to be consumed in the next 3 to 5 to 25 years – My kids will be very thankful in 2027 if they like wine!). So I began the journey! Winehouse has an easy set up with a simple way of arranging wines: varietal or country and old world or new world … it’s just that easy! Surprisingly, I spent more time (and money) in the new world section and did not give the old world section enough of a review (next trip I will make up for it). I had a few favorites I wanted to stock up on so I made sure they had what I was looking for (only one of my requests had to be put on hold for the time being).

My shopping list was as follows:

- 2007 Grayson Pinot Noir (California) x 2 – One of my favorite PN’s from CA … inexpensive but still worth it!
- 2007 Brancaia TRE (Tuscany) x 2 - "Tre" is a blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet. The grapes are carefully selected from their three estates Brancaia (Castellina), Poppi (Radda) and Brancaia in Maremma (Morellino di Scansano). “TRE is a wine full of character giving you drinking enjoyment already at young age” (So says their Web site) 93 points and #10 of WS’s Top 100 too!
- 2005 Epiphany Rodney’s Vineyard Petite Sirah (Central Coast) – Son of Fess Parker makes very good wine! Easily one of the most outstanding PS’s I have ever tasted!
- 2007 Root One Carmenere (Chile) - @KCDrinkClub discovery and one that I am happy to have found!
- 2007 Odisea Devil’s Share (California) – Stumbled over this Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Petite Syrah and Viognier blend at the Brookside Market and have been pleased ever since … thanks to JK Wines for carrying this gem in Missouri! Only 125 cases produced!
- 2007 Excelsior Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (South Africa) – This is your Tuesday night pizza and burger wine fosho’ !
- 2008 Bodegas Atteca Old Vine Grenache (Spain) – Chad found this winner for wine club one month and I have made sure I always have some around! Those crazy Spanish!
- 2008 Man Vintners Chenin Blanc (South Africa) – Loved this “steen” from the first day I was introduced back in 2004! Crisp and clean with a soft finish!
- 2008 Clemen Vinho Verde (Portugal) – The Portuguese know how to sip on a light white wine and Vinho Verde is the way to do it; light and fresh w/a hint of effervescence!
- 2007 Felino Chardonnay (Argentina) – Never had it before but it’s Paul Hobbs made so it will surely be good!

This case of wine came in just under $200 which is my benchmark for quality, value wines! All in all I loved the space and the wines I picked up! I didn’t even get to the beers or spirits but rest assured that there are plenty to choose from and many names/labels I have never heard of!

When in Lee’s Summit or even when you have an extra 15 minutes to spare (it’s not as far away as you might think – Just 17 minutes from 435 & State Line!) check out Winehouse (http://www.kcwinehouse.com/) located just south of 291 and 470!

Cheers!